To Do:  1. Get Hobby 2. Floss

Here's what I need to do: 1. Get Hobby, 2. Floss. Blogging just gets in the way.


Sunday, July 23, 2006

Sprint -- Part Deux


I may be the last person on Earth to own a camera phone. I have already taken a picture of my hand by accident. I do not read manuals. Maybe I will figure out how to post the photo of my hand here. Then everyone can admire it for its artistic merit.

I had to call Sprint to activate the phone. I chose option 2 because I am an existing customer. I was tempted to press 3 which is the option for dead customers, but I was not in the mood for games. I talked to one person in every department. I enjoyed the diversity of their unhelpfulness.

Unhelpful Employee #1: At the risk of sounding xenophobic, I could not understand a single word out of this woman's mouth. I really tried. I spoke really loudly to her thinking that would help. No luck. She did not speak English any more clearly. I am certain that she called me a stupid American when she transfered me to Customer Care.

Unhelpful Employee #2: At the risk of sounding homophobic, I could not figure out if I was speaking to a man or a woman. We tried to forward my text messages to my email address with no luck. Finally, he/she suggested that I forward the messages to a third party, turn on my new phone, and then request that the third party forward my text messages back to me. This would have been a good idea, except for the fact that I will be using these highly sensitive text messages in my upcoming court case and would die of humiliation if anyone other than a judge read these messages. I am certain that he/she called me a stupid heterosexual when he/she transfered me to Tech Support.

Unhelpful Employee #3: At the risk of sounding like an arrogant asshole, I could not tolerate the number of times this man put me on hold. I am not a very important person, but I do not like to hold. After being placed on hold six times, I received another call and kindly asked the man to hold while I took my call. I clicked over and read an email to a friend before clicking back over to Sprint Employee #3. He did not seem to mind at all and promptly put me on hold again. I am certain that he called me a self-important asshole when we hung up.

After this process, I couldn't make or receive any calls for 2-4 hours. I wish he had told me that before we started the process. I would have waited until I was about to go to sleep.

Mist 1


14 Comments:

At 10:28 PM, Blogger SabilaK said...

If these unhelpful employees are ever involved in a 3 way mating ritual and allowed to pass on their traits of unhelpfulness, the resultant offspring will surely be the spawn of satan of the customer care world.

I shudder to think of it.

 
At 4:29 AM, Blogger Irish Church Lady :) said...

Maybe first!

Nuts! I don't read manuals either. They're too boring and OMG I don't have time. Take after me Mum that way! However, I would read the manual way before calling customer service for help. I hate talking to people on the phone. I often don't answer the phone at home. Drives pool boy nuts! Ya I like the control. (I'll call you when I want to talk to you.) That's why I like blogging and chatting through instant messenger. If I sign on to MSN messenger, then my friends see that I am on line and in the mood to chat. Problem is me friends don't use MSN. They still use the phone. Therefore my new friends are my nieces and nephews who I chat with often. I'm weird I know.

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger mist1 said...

sabilah,

I will sign your petition to have these people sterilized. I also, might vote for you for president.

nerd,

My P.O. has informed me that I am never to mention him in my idle threats again.

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger mist1 said...

icl,

It's more like a challenge when you don't read the manual.

I love the "invisible to everyone" feature on Yahoo! instant messaging. But really, what's the point? So I can see when my friends are on...what am I, a stalker?

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Hate hate hate "help desks" and "teck support" and non-existent customer service. It seems that these people aren't really anymore knowledgeable than I am - and they all have a different way to approach the problem - I always just ask for a supervisor straight off.....but that doesn't help most of the time anyway......ugh

Hope you get it worked out

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger mist1 said...

cheeky,

I'm going to try asking for a supervisor immediately. I have a way of coming off sounding, well...not so nice. I'll have to work on it.

 
At 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a dork who reads manuals. I also read dictionaries of the foreign languages that I am trying to learn while I'm sitting on the metro or waiting for someone in the park. I currently have a mini English-Korean and Korean-English dictionary just for this purpose. I just tell people it's so I can get help when I'm trying to buy something at the store, and I usually try to hide the cover of my dictionaries when I read them in public so that the natives don't think I'm a freak. Another thing I do that's weird is read product labels obsessively. I can stand in one section of the drugstore for up to an hour comparing the ingredients in different products. I should probably get treatment for my OCD, but I don't have good health insurance.

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger mist1 said...

veronica,

Don't treat your OCD. Just get a job that works nicely with it. Perhaps you should consider being a stock clerk at Wal-Mart.

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I'd have pushed 3. ;)

KristynMarie

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Avitable said...

I had a horrible experience with Sprint, too. You may find it amusing reading. I actually wrote them a letter after dealing with the drooling reprobates who worked there. Bastards.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger mist1 said...

kristynmarie,

It was tempting, but who knows what your estimated wait time is if they know that you're dead.

jenna,

I have the same problem. Sadly, sometimes I know that I'm the unhelpful one at work.

avitable,

I gotta read it. I'll be by tonight. Misery loves company. Thanks.

 
At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ask their name right at the beginning of the phone call. Ask them to repeat it and to spell it...like you really care...but believe me, once they think you know something about them they usually are more helpful. A girl at work taught me that....the idiots on the other end actually think you got something on them - ha ha

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger mist1 said...

meg,

Good advice. My mother talks to them until they want to hang up on her.

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger mist1 said...

anastasia,

I try to be tolerant when I'm calling them. "Try" is the operative word, here.

But when they call me...oOoOoOo I hate it for them.

 

Post a Comment

"All of this happened, more or less." - Kurt Vonnegut

ABOUT ME
ABOUT ME
Name: Mist1
Location: Dirty South, USA

Yes, it is about me. Thanks for noticing.

BLOGROLL

123 Valerie Strikes Again
A Day in the Life
A Day in the Wind
Ali Thinks
Allan Thinks
Animal Mind
A View From The Watter's Edge
Avitable
BNR - Blog Name Removed
Briliant Donkey
Burnett's Urban Etiquette
Burt Reynolds' Mustache
c-writing
Cardiac Fantasies
Carnival of the Mundane
Curiosity Killer
Dallas Dysfunction
Dan's Blah Blah Blog
Disgruntled Workforce
DKY Bar and Grill
Exorcise My Devils
Fantasy and Sci-Fi Lovin' Blog
Fresh Air Lover
Guilty With An Explanation
How to go Insane
I Am Woman, See Me Blog!
Intelligent Humor
It's Go Time!
It's No Picknick!
Jester Tunes
Jen (and Andrew)
Just Tug
Karlababble
Ketchup With My Fries, Please
Liner Notes
Little White Liar
Maiden New York
Mayren Abashed
Meloncutter Musings
Mindy Does Minneapolis
Miss Britt
Much Ado about sumthin!
Muffin 53
Pointless Banter
Pointless Drivel
Q's Corner
Random Moments
Roadtrip
Sanity Optional
Single Life As I Know It
Secret Suburban Misfit
Southern Circle of Hell
Studio-Twenty-Three
The Assimilated Negro
The Death of Retail Price
The Dragon: 050376
The Morning Meeting
The Post College Years
The Wonderful World of Nothing Worthwhile
Tiny Voices in My Head

NEWEST POSTS

Wardrobe Malfunction
Financial Responsibility
Dead Eye Dick
Magnum, P.I.
Interview With a Therapist
Payback
Customer Service
New Name, New Blog, Same Girl

ARCHIVES

Credits

Header image photo by Alison.

 Subscribe in a reader

 Subscribe to comments

RFS Blog Awards Winner